- Engineer is one of the hottest jobs at TikTok, the app that emerged last year as a household name.
- Insider analyzed public data to see what TikTok and parent company ByteDance pay engineers.
- The companies offered engineers on US work visas annual base salaries between $120,000 and $480,000.
Engineer is one of the hottest jobs at TikTok, the app that emerged last year as a household name in media and tech.
The company, which is owned by ByteDance, currently lists roughly 3,500 openings on its jobs board, and more than 600 of those include “engineer” in the title.
Insider analyzed disclosures released by the US Office of Foreign Labor Certification on work visas to shed light on what TikTok and parent company ByteDance pay for engineering roles.
The public data reflects how much the company offered to pay foreign staffers it sought to hire in the US for jobs.
It includes wages from 386 foreign-labor-certification applications that were submitted by TikTok and ByteDance, and certified between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2021. Of those applications, 226 were for engineering-related roles.
The wages in the disclosure data are the minimum amounts the company declared in foreign-labor-certification applications to pay specific workers, according to US Department of Labor documentation. The salaries are based on the average compensation that similar employees with comparable qualifications in each job and industry are paid, which is known as the prevailing wage.
Companies may choose to pay employees more than the figures reflected in this data or compensate them in additional ways, like through stock options and grants. TikTok, for example, also offers stock options to some of its US-based employees as another source of compensation.
Based on the data, TikTok and ByteDance offered staffers on US work visas in engineering roles annual base salaries ranging $120,000 to $480,000.
The positions included:
- Algorithm Engineer: $205,200
- Applied Machine Learning Engineer: $220,000 median; ranging from $135,000 to $250,000
- AR Software Engineer: $125,000
- Backend Engineer: $162,600 median; ranging from $150,000 to $256,000
- Backend Software Engineer: $160,000 median; ranging from $130,000 to $247,000
- Data Engineer: $176,000 median; ranging from $145,000 to $210,000
- Data SRE, Ads Data: $190,000 median; ranging from $170,000 to $210,000
- DevOps Engineer, Technical Platform: $160,000
- Frontend Engineer: $160,000 median; ranging from $140,000 to $220,000
- Frontend Software Engineer: $190,000
- Full Stack Engineer, TikTok: $244,800
- Infrastructure Engineer: $255,500
- Interactive Engineer: $185,000 median; ranging from $125,000 to $235,000
- Machine Learning Engineer: $187,500 median; ranging from $120,000 to $235,000
- Mobile Software Engineer, iOS: $215,000
- Network Engineer: $180,000
- Network Software Engineer – SDN: $288,000
- Performance and Capacity Engineer: $130,000
- Production System Engineer: $180,000
- Programming Language Engineer: $240,000
- Research Engineer: $150,000 median; ranging from $120,000 to $220,000
- Security Engineer: $168,000
- Senior Backend Software Engineer: $210,000 median; ranging from $200,000 to $220,000
- Senior Engineering Director: $460,000 median; ranging from $440,000 to $480,000
- Senior Frontend Engineer: $250,000
- Senior Interactive Engineer: $240,000
- Senior Machine Learning Engineer: $211,000
- Senior Software Engineer: $250,000 median; ranging from $184,080 to $270,000
- Site Reliability Engineer: $190,000 median; ranging from $138,000 to $230,000
- Software Developers: $180,000 median; ranging from $120,000 to $250,000
- Software Development Engineer in Test: $195,000 median; ranging from $170,000 to $240,000
- Software Engineer: $180,000 median; ranging from $120,000 to $280,000
- Software Test Engineer: $135,000
- Solutions Engineer, Ads: $167,500 median; ranging from $130,000 to $185,000
- Systems Software Engineer – Machine Learning: $210,800
- Technology Support Engineer: $218,360
TikTok did not respond to a request for comment.